Walking Holidays in the High Tatras, the Smallest Alpine-Type Mountains in the World
A flexible hiking program in the High Tatras which you can fully tailor to your wishes, ideas and needs. It is up to you when is the best time for you to come, what places to see, what paths are attractive or challenging for you to hike, and last but no at least, where to stay. There are many accommodation options you can choose from and many ways to enjoy the splendid natural surroundings and the crystal clear air of the High Tatras
There is a special offer for you once a week - a guided hiking trip to another fascinating mountain range called – the Slovak Paradise – which is a real paradise for hikers! Just take a peek at it here.
For small private groups, the program can be individually designed according to your wishes, including side trips to other amazing mountains like the Western Tatras, the Low Tatras, the Slovak Paradise, and the Choč mountains.
Štrbské pleso (a glaciar lake in the High Tatras) is now part of the village of Štrbské Pleso ( spelled with capital P). It is the second largest glacial lake on the Slovak side of the High Tatras and its surface elevation at 1 346 m above sea level makes Štrbské Pleso the highest altitude village in Slovakia. You can start many tracks and hikes of various grades from here, and there is something for everyone from tenderfoot admirers of the mountains to demanding experienced hikers.
It is impossible to count all the different beauties and attractions of the High Tatras. From diverse forests, magnificent glacial valleys, moraines, charming waterfalls to lakes wich brighten the valleys and cloak them in the veil of mystery. Visit this picturesque piece of land and you will certainly fall in love with it.
What you can do
During your stay in the High Tatras we can offer you:
Guided walking trips in the High Tatras
- easy walking – walk on gentle slopes and along valleys with only small ascents/descents, up to 200 m. Walking time up to 3hours/day. Example: Štrbské Pleso to Popradské pleso and back
- moderate hiking – moderate terrain with ascents/descents up to 700-800 m; daily walking time up to 6-7 hours, for example: Štrbské pleso to Solisko and back through Furkotská dolina – forest pavement, dwarf-pine (stone pavement), rocky terrain
- trekking – heavy trekking, steep ascents/descents which can exceed 1000 m including rocks, climbing supported by chains. Daily walking up to 10 hours, for example: Štrbské Pleso to Kriváň or trekking to Rysy peak.
walking and hiking of all grades as mentioned above. Each day you can choose whether you want to walk by yourself or join an organized walk. The decision is yours. At the request of small private groups we can arrange transfer and guided walking tours in other nearby mountain areas.
1-day hiking trips to the Slovak Paradise or other mountains
- the Slovak Paradise – an amazing mountain range which can be reached from the High Tatras in just one hour. Its hidden beauty only becomes apparent when you enter the mountains and start hiking there. We will encounter rocky terraces, river gorges, narrow canyons with waterfalls, iron steps and ladders as well as less demanding paths through woods and meadows.
- the Western Tatras – have a similar character to the High Tatras: trekking trails in the forests, stone pavements, rocks, climbing supported by chains. The mountains are for those who prefer less crowded trekking paths. Another adventure of the Western Tatras is that it is possible to walk along the summit ridge, which is not accesible in the High Tatras. The views from the ridge are magnificent.
- the Low Tatras – The High Tatras' smaller brother. The tracks and trails are in general less demanding than in the High Tatras. Once you get on the ridge, you can walk along it for many hours. The top of Chopok Mountain can be reached by cable car and from there a number of trails offer long walks along the ridge. It is easy and you can make it also in the winter on cross country skis.
- the Choč Mountains – The highest peak of this range, Veľký Choč, is one of the most picturesque in Slovakia. It offers gorgeous views of the High and Low Tatras in particular. A medium difficulty trail can also be accessed in the winter season. Prosiecka dolina – the valley is definitively one of the most beautiful Slovak valleys. It is connected with Kvačianska dolina valley in one educational trail. Hiking through Prosiecka dolina is quite demanding. Some sections require ladder climbing. The comfortable and wide trail through Kvačianska dolina is suitable for smaller children.
Bear and other wild animal watching in the Western Tatras
The most suitable areas for watching animals are the less busy parts of the Western Tatras, where animals are not disturbed by too many tourists. You can see bears and also chamois and marmots, just like this.
In the Tatra region you can also find a wide selection of roads and trails where the bicycle can be your friend. You can bike from the High Tatras to the Western Tatras; you can also combine a cycling and a walking tour in one day. The long valleys of the Western Tatras with asphalt roads are particularly suited to this sort of tour. For example, you can bike up the long valley and then walk up to the ridge and admire the awesome mountain lakes on the Polish side of the Tatras. The more you try, the more you see.
Guesthouse “Pleso” ** Štrbské pleso
This family run-guesthouse is located by the lake Nové Štrbské pleso. You can wake up to lovely mornings on the lakeshore and try delicious homemade cakes. After breakfast go hiking, have some adventure in the Tatras, breathe in fresh air... then take advantage of the guesthouse´s mini spa facilities including a whirlpool, sauna and massages to relax.
The total capacity is 24 beds in eight double rooms and two suites (a double room and a living room with two extra beds).
-full board for groups only
-half board available
Vila Kosodrevina *** Štrbské pleso
The location of this newly built villa is just perfect – it is situated just a few steps away from the Lakes of love. Every room and apartment is newly furnished and has its own bathroom and kitchenette, suitable for self-catering. It is also possible to cook over an outdoor fire in the garden.
The total capacity is 38 beds in four triple rooms, two family rooms with two separate double rooms, one apartment with two rooms (a double and quadruple room), one suite with two quadruple rooms, a suite with a double room and a living room with two spare beds.
No board available.
Hotel Toliar *** Štrbské pleso
The hotel is located 1355 m above sea level in the picturesque surroundings of the High Tatras,right on the shore of the lake Štrbské pleso. Skiers and alpine trekkers in particular appreciate its central location. Every room has an en-suite bathroom and TV. There is Wi-Fi internet access in the public areas. The pleasant Slovak restaurant serves traditional Slovak meals. Vital World Toliar is a complex of water and steam baths. Parking is available by the hotel. The hotel is located close to the bus station and the Tatra Electric Railway.
Accommodation is provided in 7 double-rooms, 48 double rooms with an extra bed, 6 family rooms (each with two triple rooms) and 7 studio suites wit two or four beds and two extra beds and a kitchenette. The total capacity is 146 beds.
Full board available.
Hotel FIS *** Štrbské pleso
The biggest hotel-sports complex in the High Tatras is situated under their majestic peaks. This ski in & ski out hotel is located only a few metres from hiking trails, ski slopes and cross-country skiing tracks. The recently built wellness centre is designed in the style of a mountain meadow. Combine the enjoyment of unspoilt nature and flawless services in the hotel wellness centre to regenerate your body and recharge your batteries.
It offers 60 rooms – double rooms (some of them with extra beds) and family rooms, and 15 bungalows with double or triple rooms of a lower standard. These cottages are located about 70 m from the hotel.
Full board available
Hotel Patria **** Štrbské pleso
This exclusive hotel is the characteristic landmarks of Štrbské pleso and offers some of the most beautiful views in the High Tatras. Inside, a colorful mosaic of wonderful surprises awaits you. In its unique surroundings you will find comfort, a large selection of gastronomic specialties, refreshment and obliging staff always ready to provide wide range of hotel services. The rooms provide comfortable accommodation with free Wi-Fi connections. The hotel has a restaurant, a Lobby bar and a win bar as well as a spa with an indoor pool and sauna.
The hotel capacity is 160 double rooms and 20 suites with a double room and a living room with 2 extra beds
Full board available
Dates & Prices
From June 20 to October 30 you can choose any lenght of your stay and you can arrive/depart any day of your choise within this period. Accommodation is available in all standard categories from 5* Kempinski hotel to simple self-catering apartments.
Specific offers with prices available on request.
The price includes
- accomodation and board based on your choice of the hotel (7 nights)
- mountain guide
- trip to the Slovak paradise
The price does not include
- air ticket or other transportation cost to Slovakia and within Slovakia
- optional visa
- travel and health insurrance
Bear watching and bicykle rental available upon request (price on request).
From airport Vienna Schwechat to Štrbské pleso by car (max. 4 persons) - € 290
From airport Bratislava to Štrbské pleso by car (max. 4 persons) - € 240
From airport Krakow to Štrbské pleso by car (max. 4 persons) - €240
From airport Poprad-Tatry to Štrbské pleso by car (max. 4 persons) - € 80
From airport Košice Barca to Štrbské pleso by car (max. 4 persons) - € 190
All bookings are subject to availability and written confirmation. Dates and prices for private groups will be sent on request.